Steve Terrien's 1958 Porsche 550-A Spyder was part of a special display of vintage cars at the Kirkland Concours in Kirkland, Washington, on the east side of Lake Washington. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
The filmic version of James Bond has had a number of different automobiles. But perhaps the most iconic was the Aston Martin DB5 that Sean Connery first used in the 1964 film Goldfinger. That was the one with the pop-out gun barrels, behind the front directionals, a passenger ejector seat, a bullet shield just aft of the rear glass, revolving number license plates and even an oil-slick dispenser to assist when being tailed by bad guys. Aston Martin was the featured marque at this year’s Kirkland Concours, just east of Seattle, on September eleventh; so, one of the several DB5s used in that film was on display and surrounded by a selection of other Aston-Martins that would allow those unfamiliar with the history of the marque, to understand what preceded it.
One of several Aston-Martin DB5 sports cars used in the production of the James Bond film "Goldfinger." The prototype DB5, number DP/216/1, also used in that movie, was stolen from its last home in Florida and hasn't been seen since 1997. This is DB5/1486/R. It was used as a stand-in during the filming and became known as the Road Car. (Photos by Terry Parkhurst)
There were 11 Aston-Martin automobiles that ranged from two 1934 vintage models – an Ulster 1.5 liter roadster and a MKII Sport Saloon – to a 2005 BB7 Zagato.
A 1954 Aston-Martin DBR2 that saw duty at Laguna Seca Raceway in the 1950s. Equipped with a space-frame chassis and Lockheed disc brakes at all four corners, power comes via a 3.7 liter DOHC in-line six-cylinder engine, backed up by a five-speed manual transmission. Greg Whitten of Bellevue, the current owner, was on hand to explain its history at the Kirkland Concours. (Photos by Terry Parkhurst)
The Goldfinger DB5 was joined by a light blue 1964 Aston-Martin DB5 owned by Christopher Bayley, a former King County Prosecuting Attorney in the early 1970s, who rooted out payoffs and corruption in the Seattle Police Department of that time.
Christopher Bayley stands with his pride-and-joy, a 1964 Aston-Martin DB5. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
The location for this concours was again Carillon Point, which has a great view of Lake Washington; thus allowing a class for seven vintage wood runabouts that included a 1927 Hacker Dolphin (and which also had a 1937 Gar Wood 19-foot Grey Marine-Mogar built CR 723 that won first place). Carillion Point itself has a back story, having once been the site for the Anderson Shipyards until 1923; then, having transmogrified into the Lake Washington Shipyards during the Second World War, and been the birthplace for 29 U.S. Navy ships and the repair facility for many more. After the war, the site was purchased by Alaska Terminal and Stevedoring, a subsidiary of the Skinner Corporation; and used by that concern as a fresh water tie-up for the passenger liners and freighters of the Alaska Steamship Company, which went out of business in 1971.
The flat vista that's the top of a parking garage makes a perfect setting for the outstanding 1932 Auburn model 12-160A cabriolet of Carl King from Lake Forest Park, Washington at the Kirkland Concours. Its 6.5 liter Lycoming V12 engine produces 160 horsepower and produces enough torque to take the 4,235 pound car up to 100 miles-per-hour. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
The current collection of businesses, that includes the Woodmark Hotel and Spa, shops that include a restaurant and a Starbucks, has open spaces that allow for varied levels of viewing.
The epitome of the Art Deco concept is this extremely rare 1934 Voison model 27 coupe owned by Peter Mullins of Los Angeles, California, up for the concours. It's one of only two V27s ever built. Power comes via a three liter, in-line 6 cylinder engine with two Zenith carburetors producing 104 horsepower; capable of propelling the Voison to 93 miles-per-hour. Gabriel Voison, its designer, was a successful aviator and manufacturer of airplanes, prior to the Second World War. (photo by Terry Parkhurst)
The legendary American make Pierce-Arrow had 11 automobiles and two motorcycles – yes, Pierce-Arrow made motorcycles, too – on display. There were so many, that perhaps to make the job a bit easier for the judges, they were broken into two classes: Pierce Arrow – Early (prior to 1924) and Pierce-Arrow – Late (above the former).
Vivian Dohms presents the 1928 Pierce Arrow series 81 limousine, owned by herself and her husband Jerry (of Federal Way, Washington) to three judges, early on the morning of the Kirkland Concours. A full side view of the impressive luuxry car is seen below. The Pierce-Arrow was preferred make for presidential limousines, until the company's demise in the mid-1930s. (Photos by Terry Parkhurst)
Pierce-Arrow, which started out as a manufacturer of bicycles, before it produced automobiles, also made motorcycles. Below, is the 1911 Pierce-Arrow four cylinder motorcycle of Art Redford. The upper and rear frame tubes were designed to hold up to 7 quarts of fuel, while the front down tube could carry 5 pints of oil. When new, it sold for $325. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
Pierce-Arrow also made a one-cylinder motorcycle. Just below is the 1911 Pierce-Arrow one cylinder motorcycle of John and Sharon Burkhalter who displayed it in their home town at the Kirkland Concours. The engine is just 595 cubic-centimeters but will take the lightweight up to 55 miles-per-hour. Pierce-Arrow advertised the motorcycle as having "the efficiency of a twin with the simplicity of one cylinder construction." (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
Because of the rising interest in vintage trucks, this year’s show had a class called “Working Girls” that featured 12 examples of the type of vehicles had to absolutely depend upon to make a living. That included a rare 1928 Graham Brothers screen-side truck. (Graham later was acquired by Dodge.)
The 1932 Ford model "A" delivery truck (foreground) of Gerald Greenfield from Lake Tapps, Washington. Just behind it, is the rare 1928 Graham Brothers screenside of Michael Luberts from Spanaway, Washington. Both were part of the "Working Girls" class at the Kirkland Concours, this year. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
Dean Trenery brought this 1949 Chevrolet one-ton panel delivery truck, powered by a 235 cubic-inch in-line 6 cylinder engine and complete with all original options and a 10 foot, three inch long Swift hydroplane (see below) to participate in the "Working Girls" class at the Kirkland Concours. (Photos by Terry Parkhurst)
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the debut of the E-type Jaguar, there was also a special display of what in the United States was the car known as the XK-E. But the car spectators chose as Best of Show showed that, sometimes the car that's oldest captures everyone's heart. They gave the nod to the 1911 Simplex of Ray Scherr.
Bob and Valerie Johansen's (Woodinville, WA) red 1962 Chevrolet Corvette starts a row of "Straight-Axle Corvettes" as those sans independent rear suspension are known. Just behind their car is John Bianchi's (Seattle) black 1961 Corvette, and one more back, is Dave Freeman's (Seattle) white '59 Corvette with the rare fuel injection option. (Photo by Terry Parkhurst)
This was reportedly the last year for the concours at the Carillon Point location. Next year's concours, on Sunday, September ninth, is scheduled to be held at the LeMay Museum, currently undergoing construction in a former parking lot of the Tacoma Dome. - Terry Parkhurst
Recommended website: www.lemaymuseum.org